Admission essay or application essay plays a very important in your college, university, or graduate school admission process. One’s admission might be at stake if one is not paying much heed to their application essay. It is an essay that must be a reflection of who you are or in other words, it’s your ambition, goals, purpose, life, personality etc in a nutshell. Some college applications require you to complete one or more essay topics that may be very specific. Some colleges may even make it optional. The common the college look for in an application are your career aspirations, experience, academic strengths and weaknesses, past experiences, and reasons for applying to the particular institution.
Now getting to the style of writing admission essays there are a few things that should be kept in mind while writing it:-
- The tone of the essay - It is awfully important to maintain the tone of the essay. There should be the tone of generosity, humility towards other. Too much of bragging and pride in your achievements can be overwhelming to the point of annoying. One should mention their achievements, skills and accomplishments in subtle tone without showing off too much. On the flipside one should not be too much descriptive about their failures either. It is highly important to create a balance to make the read worth their time.
- Disclose yourself (your character) – The essay is more about yourself than anything else. It will reflect your personality, identity and qualities that make you. It is important to speak about your ideas, your aspirations, the lessons you have from your life incidents, the challenges you have faced, experiences.
- Be grammatically correct – Errors can be very distracting, even a few of them. One thing that will be highlighted is your carelessness along with poor proficiency in writing. Punctuations, spelling mistakes should be taken care of as soon as possible. Grammatical mistakes can bring you to the losing side. Seek help immediately if language is your weakness.
- Humor - Witticism, playing around a little with metaphors can help you make a difference to your essay and make it catchy. There should be just a hint of humor. Overdoing it is unnecessary and can be a cause of rejection. It should be limited to just a hint.
- Avoid Repetitions and lists - Repetitions of words and lines, wordiness should be avoided as much as possible. The meaningful content should not be overdone with repetitions. It makes it more effective.
Most students do the mistake of including all their achievements and accomplishments in the essay that makes it too tedious to read. It is better to avoid such a thing and save them for other appropriate places in the application form.
It is very crucial to make your essay engaging and compelling. The details must be carefully chosen. There should be a clear focus and you writing should reflect your passion and personality. Sometimes sharing your difficult times reflects more about you and hence, gets more bonus points than just mentioning your achievements and accomplishments.
Sometimes some students get away with meager scores with the help of a compelling essay writing. This explains how important an admission essay might be for judging you.
Here are some examples of essay topics that you might stumble upon:-
- Considering your lifetime goals, discuss how your current and future academic and extra-curricular activities might help you achieve your goals.
- Describe a circumstance, obstacle or conflict in your life, and the skills and resources you used to resolve it.
- Describe a setting in which you have collaborated or interacted with people whose experiences and beliefs differ from yours. Address your initial feelings and how those feelings were or were not changed by this experience.
At Writers Per Hour, we can assist you with your preparation and give useful handy tips on writing admission essays. We are a trusted agency that has been helping students across the world on many career issues and getting them to closer to their career goals. There are experienced writers that can help you out. Don’t hesitate to reach us. Sharing and teaching is an important part of the education.